Non-immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas are issued to people who wish to stay in the United States on a temporary basis. A person entering the United States in non-immigrant status is restricted to the activity or reason for which the visa was issued.

Continue reading

Some of the most common non-immigrant visas are:

Business / Tourism visitor Visa – B-1/B-2
This visa is issued to a foreign national who wishes to enter the United States temporarily for business and/or tourism.

Treaty trader / treaty investor Visa – E
These visas are for citizens of countries with which the United States maintains treaties of commerce and navigation. The applicant must come to the United States to engage in substantial trade principally between the United States and the treaty country; or to develop and direct the operations of an enterprise in which the person has invested a substantial amount of money.

Student Visa – F, M
A foreign national must have a student visa to study in the United States. The course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa.

Temporary specialized work Visa – H-1B
This visa allows the applicant to temporarily work in a specialty occupation. Requires a higher education degree or its equivalent.

Exchange visitor Visa – J
J visas are issued to individuals approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States, such as: camp counselor, intern, physician, professor and research scholar, short-term scholar, student, summer work travel, trainee, among others. Before applying for a J visa, the exchange visitor must apply for and be accepted into an exchange visitor program through a designated sponsoring organization.

Intra-company transferee Visa – L
This visa allows the applicant to work at a branch, parent, affiliate, or subsidiary in the United States of the current foreign employer in a managerial or executive capacity, or in a position requiring specialized knowledge.

Visa for Foreign nationals with extraordinary ability– O-1
This visa is issued to individuals with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics to work, in a temporary capacity, in their field of expertise for a fixed period of time.

Performing athlete, artist, entertainer Visa – P
To visa allows the person to perform at a specific athletic competition as an athlete or as a member of an entertainment group. It requires an internationally recognized level of sustained performance. This visa includes persons providing essential services in support of the above individual.

Religious worker Visa – R-1
It allows the applicant to enter the United States to work temporarily in religious activities.

Visa for Victims of Criminal Activity – U
Victims of certain criminal activity that either occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws may be eligible to petition for U non-immigrant status.